Monday 28 January 2013

Foundation piecing with EQ7

Lots of fun, but fiddly...

 
Electric Quilt patchwork design software and foundation piecing -
a fantastic combination for creating all sorts of lovely things!
Love it, love it, love it!
Sounds complicated, but a bit of time playing around and
 getting to know the programme really helps.
After a bit it all starts to come together ....



Planned this little block for Plantlife's
Wildflower Meadow project
on my new EQ7 software upgrade.  It needs rearranging a bit, and a border
 to make it the required 15cm square - and I need to be A LOT more
 accurate with my piecing, but it's a start.

Printed out the numbered block...
EQ can number the patches automatically, or you can do it yourself
Opted for a printed 
1/4" seam allowance round the templates
 

 
 coloured them in roughly with coloured pencils, just to make sure I didn't get lost.
 

Tunnel vision

I never buy purple fabric - so why design a purple flower?
My block needed three purples and I couldn't even find one in my stash.
Eventually, at the back of the cupboard I found a piece
shading from deep purple at one selvedge to pale violet at the other.

Sorted!

Decided to be more adventurous with colours next time I shop for scraps!
 
 
prototype ready for its border.
 
Designed this applique pattern on EQ7 too -
ain't it cute!
Would have had no trouble at all finding the fabrics for this...
 




No comments: